For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God’s gift—not from works, so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9
Well, the issue is finally settled. It is really a difficult thing to be the baby of the family especially when it is obvious that after seven previous tries mom and dad finally got it right. Yup…that was me. Number eight in a litter of eight. Sometimes, because I was the baby of eight, my other brothers and sisters got a little jealous.
One of the stories that I was raised with was the fact that I really wasn’t a natural born part of the family. In fact, they told me that mama and daddy had found me in a ditch in the poor part of town and felt sorry for me and brought me home. Now I understand how that story got started. I mean I was so much cuter and smarter than my brothers and sisters it seemed pretty apparent that I was an outsider. Yup, they would rag on me big time but it didn’t bother me. I knew I was special.
I grew up and the story about me being “found” kind of faded away. I knew it was all a joke, but every once in a while, it give me pause. Hmmm, what if, I wonder, could it be? Naw…I was pretty sure, it was not true. As time passed and technology grew, someone started a company that would allow you to check your DNA. The results would tell you where you were from and where your ancestors lived. One of my older brothers decided to spend the money and have his checked. The results were lack luster.
I always envisioned being related to William Wallace or some other great hero. But when his results came in it turned out that we only had a 17% chance of being from Ireland or Scotland. That means there was about a one in five chance that I had an Irish brogue hidden somewhere in me and that was not enough for me to go and buy a kilt! A whopping 83% was plain ole English. Yup…right there in Northern Europe. I guess my ancestors got mad at the king or queen and took a ship to America.
But then I thought, “Well, those are his results but are they my results?” I mean if the “we found you in a ditch story” was true then his story couldn’t be mine. So, guess what? For Father’s Day, Judy spent the money and I was able to spit in a tube and send my DNA off in the mail. It took several weeks but guess what? Yup, you guessed it. My results were exactly the same as my brother’s. What that really means is that we had the same father and mother and I was the best looking and smartest because mom and dad finally got it right. Smile.
I’m really just pulling your leg. I knew I was part of the family, there is a whole lot of family resemblance in me. I also knew that old story was just a joke but I always enjoyed playing along. It made me feel kinda…special. As you have heard before…my brothers and sisters called me “precious”—mainly because I was. Smile. But I want you to know that you are special too. We all are. We are all wonderful creations of God. Like someone said, “God doesn’t make junk.”
I was born into the Taylor clan by an act of God’s grace. Period. I could have been born anywhere or at anytime, but by His grace I was born to Alston and Leslie back in 1954. That wasn’t the only time I experienced His grace. I was born another time too, back on October 26, 1976. That was the day I was born again and adopted into the family of God. You see, each person who trusts Christ is in the family by a new birth (that’s where we get our spiritual DNA) but also by the power of adoption. That’s where we get all the rights and privileges of a full grown son. From the moment I believed in Jesus, I had all the rights of a person who has known Jesus for decades. Amazing.
So, I’m a Taylor down to my core…my DNA proves it. But I am also a “tailor-made” (I couldn’t resist) child of God. Born again by His grace and adopted into the family as His son. There is no higher privilege than that. And it is an open invitation. God invites each and every person into the family if they are willing to believe and trust in His Son. It is all a matter of faith and His grace. His Book says, “For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God’s gift—not from works, so that no one can boast.”
I know I use that verse often, but it just never grows old. I am a child of God and He is my Dearest Daddy. Not because of who I am, but because of His love for me and His amazing grace. How about that?
If you should ever wonder who you really belong to, can I make a suggestion? Why not settle the issue and become a child of His? You will never wander or wonder again. He’s just waiting for you to come to Him and rest. He wants you to know He’s got this, for now and for all eternity.